Monday, January 16, 2012

Greetings

Well, I've finally considered my wife's advice/prodding and decided to start a real blog. The previous blog entitled "Bible Study" hasn't been touched since 2009, (and the title really doesn't do much for it either) means my previous blog has been doomed to me being the only reader, and it seems that its fate will continue to remain that way. So I decided I should start another blog, perhaps give it a more catchy title; only problem is I'm not sure if I can live up to the hype that the title of this blog is boasting. "The Inquiries of a Layman Scientist," ooooo... I'm not much of a writer in that I don't write all that often, and if I'm going to have a title like that for a blog (I know your right... I making a bigger deal of it then it really is..... the title isn't that great perhaps), I should at least do it justice by posting at least 100x more than I have, on the last blog I created. Another reason I worried about the hype is that there is nothing like reading a book, blog, magazine, watching a movie with a great title only to find it STINKS! And I certainly don't want to contribute (let alone create) anything that ... well stinks. The world has enough of that I think, but on the other hand, you don't get better unless you try. So sorry if this blog turns out to be a stinker.

I guess a more practical reason for creating this blog is that I'm currently enrolled in a writing class at Liberty University, and I figured having a blog might get the creative juices moving again. Plus I think my wife, at least, would like to read the things I post. Even more so, if I plan on having any kind of future in the academic world, writing is a BIG must. What better way of sharpening your writing skills than with a blog, so I will be posting my writing assignments as well. Oh, maybe I should explain why I picked that title in the first place... boy that would be really lame.. picking the title not because I'm interested in science, but just for the sake of a catchy title. I'm sure I'd get all sorts of nasty comments if any readers I could hope to get were science enthusiasts like myself. So the reason for the title is that when I was a small boy, and as early as I could watch the Discovery Channel and understand what the shows were talking about, I wanted to be a scientist, so that would have been at the age of 8 .. I think. That passion has come, gone and come back again, and now at the age of 29, I realized this is my life's calling. One of the requirements of being a good scientist (believe it or not) is also being a good writer. I can't think of any scientists that managed to get a PhD without being able to write. If you hate writing, but want to be a scientist, sorry, you should either pick a different field or learn to love writing. You may be asking yourself, "What kind of scientist does he want to be; doesn't this guy know there are all sorts of different fields of study in science.... for Pete Sake?" Well if you really must know, I'm undecided, but I'm leaning towards Computer Science, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Neurology, Genetics, or Psychology.... maybe it would be safer to just say, "I don't know"

So anyway,... here here...to the final christening, and wish her (the blog) a safe voyage...or even better in French .. Bonne Voyage

Well I suppose that's enough for now. I'm going to be sure and make my wife happy... again(happy that first of all, I'm starting a blog and happy again that I'm reading her's), and read her blog after I post this. To my wife, Tegan: Honey, I hope you'll read this. Love you. *kiss*

1 comment:

  1. Love love love it! You're a great writer my love and I look forward to reading more posts from you - on all things science and things not so sciency. :D

    ReplyDelete